Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Titus Andronicus 2014: Addison Radle "Campfire Stories"

Post by Titus Andronicus cast member Addison Radle:

Campfire Stories


I have many fond memories of sitting around a campfire as a family or a scout troupe telling scary stories. This is one of my favorites:

You may not know this, but my family used to own a cabin up near Bear lake. When I tell you what happened there, you will understand why we sold it, in fact, why I hadn't been camping since until tonight.
I was about eight years old, and my father, mother, older brother, two sisters and I had gone up to our cabin for our annual 4th of July trip. After a day of boating, hiking, and barbeque, we went to sleep. Those of you who know me are wondering why you haven't met my older brother. He's not around anymore.
I woke up at about two in the morning, unsure of what had woke me. I lay in bed, trying to get back to sleep. Now, that old cabin was full of noises. It creaked and moaned and whistled, we had grown accustomed to it. It never tapped though, and tonight it tapped.
**Clack**
I turned towards the window, from which the sound had came, half expecting to see a monster staring but at me, but all that I was was moonlight. I knew I was just scaring myself, so I turned over, closed my eyes tight, and went back to sleep.
**Clack**
My eyes snapped open, I knew I wasn't hearing things this time. I wanted to wake my brother, but Josh would just called me a stupid kid and tell me not to wake him. I laid with my eyes glued to the window, needing to witness who or what was tapping. Just as I was about to drift off to sleep again, a hand crept up from the base of the window.
**Bum Bum Bum**
“Josh,” I whispered.
He groaned in his sleep.
“Josh,” louder.
“What?”
“There's something outside.”
“Go back to sleep.”
**Bum Bum Bum**
He jolted up and together, in silence, we stared at the window.
**Bum Bum Bum**
We saw the knuckles rapping at the window. Josh went over and looked out.
“Its just some stupid kid,” he said, “Come on.”
Together we crept to the door and slipped from the cabin. We snuck around the side of the house just in time to see him tap our window again.
“What the hell?” Josh asked.
On seeing us, the kid turned and ran into the woods. We chased him deep into the woods until he finally tripped and landed head first at the base of a tree.
Josh stood over him. “Why were you tapping on our window?”
“My uncles made me do it.”
“Why.”
“To get you out of your cabin.”
As he said that, several shadowed figures emerged from behind the trees.
“Run, Addison!” yelled Josh. And run I did. I ran faster than I had ever ran before. I ran so fast I didn't notice they had caught Josh. When I reached the cabin, I turned just in time to see him being dragged away, back into the forest. I woke my dad, and he called the police, and tried to find him himself, but we never saw him again.



We at Grassroots, like all actors, are story tellers. Love stories, like As You Like It, war stories, like Henry V, stories with immortal themes like faith, passion, and courage that have stood the test of time.
This Halloween, Grassroots will present you with a play with entirely different, yet equally timeless themes. Revenge, lust, cruelty, not far removed those you heard by the fireside, though certainly more intense when witnessed live.

A long time ago, in the city of Rome, Titus Andronicus returned victorious from a war against the barbarous Goths.
His sons asked a sacrifice to thank the Roman gods for their victory. Titus gave them Alarbus, son of Tamora, Queen of the goths. The sons of Titus hacked the prince's body to pieces and burn them on a fire. Tamora swore that she be revenged against the Romans and their greatest general. Now the fun really begins...

Join us for Shakespeare's bloodiest play, it will be a night you never forget.



About Addison Radle:

Addison will be playing Martius & Aemilius in 'Titus Andronicus':

Addison is thrilled to join Grassroots for a third show! His favorite roles have been Nym, Gremio, and Jacques. His favorite Shakespearean plays are Othello and Julius Caesar.

Titus Andronicus performs at the Castle Amphitheater in Provo Utah from Oct 17th-November 1st 2014. Tickets and Details HERE



No comments:

Post a Comment