Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Titus Andronicus 2014: Claire Wilson "I feel like Shakespeare has always been a part of me"

Post by Titus Andronicus cast member Claire Wilson:


I feel like Shakespeare has always been a part of me. From my parents forcing my sisters and I to watch Romeo and Juliet (and pausing it to distract us with brownies while my dad secretly fast forwarded through the shot of Romeo’s naked behind) when I was eight, to actually crying in my AP Lit class when the teacher showed that fantastic Hamlet with David Tennant and Patrick Stewart (and only being a little embarrassed), I fell in love. At whatever point in my life, those plays started to feel like a hunk of my soul, and my love for them has only grown as the years pass.




I always said I liked Shakespeare because it was so old that you could basically do whatever you wanted with it and it would be valid. I dreamed of pieces loaded high with symbolism and dramatic lighting, the audience filled with people knitting their eyebrows together so that it looked like they understood what was going on. That’s all very good, but I think I was missing out on a lot of the fun.



Enter my friend Tori. “Hey, this cool Shakespeare company is doing a show in the park by your house,” she said to me last summer, “We should totally go see it!” I’ll tell you what I saw: my little sister was actually paying attention! You’ll have to believe me when I tell you what a miracle that is, and I think it comes as a result of the collaborative nature of what Grassroots does. It not only relies on the cast to build the show together, but the audience to make it complete.



By being involved in a show that forces all parties present to give their undivided attention to everything around them, nobody has the chance to get bored. This isn’t the kind of show where the most exciting part is watching the actors try to cover up that missed entrance. It has a life of its own, and you never know exactly what’s going to happen. I’ve been forced to stop acting like a turtle, and stretch in new ways in order to create a show in a way I would never have thought possible. It’s fabulous and exciting and I still can’t believe I’m lucky enough to be a part of it. I think you’ll feel that too, when you see it. Seriously, come. Stand in the front and let yourself get pulled into the story; it’s not one that you’ll want to miss.



About Claire Wilson
Claire is playing Lavinia in Titus Andronicus

Claire is thrilled to be a part of her first production with Grassroots. She recently graduated from the Salt Lake School for Performing Arts, where she was most recently seen in Under Construction, and some of her favorite roles include Second Maggie in The Mill on the Floss, Lysistrata in George Bernard Shaw’s The Apple Cart, and Pearl in The Scarlet Letter. She probably likes Shakespeare more than she likes herself, has serious popcorn-making skills, and wants to be a dinosaur when she grows up.

Titus Andronicus performs at the Castle Amphitheater in Provo Utah from Oct 17th-November 1st 2014. Tickets and Details HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment