Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Titus Andronicus 2014: Landon Kraczek "We can simply enjoy the experience we have together"

Post by Titus Andronicus cast member Landon Kraczek:



I had the interesting perspective of being in a Grassroots show before I got to see what one is like. This means I had no idea what an intense, thrilling, and fun experience I was getting into. We have so little time to get things done, yet we manage to collaborate and be sure things are done the way they would have been done in Shakespeare's day. I love how the company strives to bring original practices into the shows. On the first day of rehearsal we gathered together to talk about what original practice was and as we talked I saw how passionate people are about making things as authentic as possible. At first I didn't understand why people cared, but now I see. It feels like we are creating a new kind of theater (except it has been around for hundreds of years). One that gives us all more power to create while helping to seamlessly put together a uniform piece. It's awesome!





Still, I didn't fully grasp what we were doing until opening night. We stepped on stage and the audience knew just what to do. They cheered and interacted more then any audience I have ever seen. It was just like I have heard Shakespeare's audiences were. They made the show feel like a rock concert, a play, a stand-up show and a social gathering all wrapped up into one. Just before I die in the show I reach out my hand as if to say “help me, I don’t want to die in this pit”. As I reached out, a few men in the audience reached back, grabbed me, and pretended to pull. The audience was willing to go along with anything we asked them to!




For the past few years I have been discovering that I want to be in shows that are at their core, entirely different from film in the way they affect the audience. In the Grassroots format I have found a means where I can do that. The audience can have a totally different experience from the ones they have every day in their homes. There are no social norms to keep us apart. We can simply enjoy the experience we have together.




Landon Kraczek
Quintus/Publius

Landon is ecstatic to be working with Grassroots this fall. He has a great love of performing Shakespeare. This will be his 5th Shakespeare play. His favorite roles were Caliban in The Tempest, Dromio in Comedy of Errors, and Petruchio in Taming of the Shrew.


Titus Andronicus performs at the Castle Amphitheater in Provo Utah from Oct 17th-November 1st 2014. Tickets and Details HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment