Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Titus Andronicus 2014: Nick Gledhill "Mumble"

Post by Titus Andronicus Cast Member Nick Gledhill:



Mumble.

When I was little, I was grumpy to everyone around me. I didn't like being spoken to or even smiled at. Whenever anyone attempted to smile at me, I would mumble crankily, "Don't smile at me."



Part of my ill-tempered attitude stemmed from my insecurities in not being able to speak clearly. From ages 3-6, I struggled with speaking and would often get tongue tied or stammer. When I saw people smirk at my stutter, a devouring rage overcame me. I didn't like talking. I didn't like people. I wasn't confident in myself and I spent the majority of my childhood feeling disdain for others. Then something in me changed.




My very first visit to Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City. I remember being old enough to get over my apathy of people, but I didn't care. 6 or 7 maybe. I distinctly remember walking toward my seat in the theater after shooting a nasty glare at the woman who offered me a booster seat so I could see the show and being so angry with everyone. The curtains rose, and Lysander (from A Midsummer Night's Dream) began to speak. He spoke so clearly and confidently with so many difficult words, I was amazed! He spoke all these fancy words that weren't even his, and yet I believed.



After the show, I knew what I had to do: Get a candied apple and use the restroom. But after I accomplished those tasks I decided that I wanted my voice to be heard. My parents bought me the complete works of Shakespeare at a gift shop and I got studying immediately. I didn't have any difficulty speaking while reading and following the rhyme and meter of Shakespeare's works. Not a stammer, stutter, mumble, or stumble in a single word. Soon, my regular everyday speech was as normal as ever, my confidence grew, and I had no problem talking or engaging with people.



Shakespeare's works have inspired me to live by this principle by every day: Don't be afraid to let your voice be heard. Titus Andronicus is a very scary play- mix it with The Grassroots Shakespeare Company's original practice method and its terrifying. Letting your fears control you doesn't make it better, it just makes it worse. So here's to not being scared. Good luck with that.



About Nick Gledhill
Nick will be playing Bassianus & Young Lucius in Titus Andronicus

Nick has been a huge fan of Grassroots and is so excited to be making his debut performance with them in such a powerful play with such a talented cast. Nick's favorite Shakespearean roles include Macbeth in "Macbeth" and Orlando in "As You Like It".

Titus Andronicus performs at the Castle Amphitheater in Provo Utah from Oct 17th-November 1st 2014. Tickets and Details HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment