Thursday, October 16, 2014

Titus Andronicus 2014: Nick Grossaint "I think I get it now"

Post by Titus Andronicus cast Member Nick Grossaint:

I think I get it now.



 My first Shakespeare show was in elementary and we did Hamlet. I had no idea what was going on in our play something about a ghost at the beginning and then everybody died at the end. Bam! Shakespeare!



Years later my comprehension level was about the same. Macbeth, yeah it’s got some witches and stuff. Caesar, dude totally gets stabbed. Romeo & Juliet, Leonardo DiCaprio was in that right? Anytime I’d gone to the theater to see Shakespeare I was bored to tears and I didn’t get what was going on. Why is Shakespeare still being produced? What is there to gain?



Then I was in my first Grassroots show. I got to play Old Adam and Audrey in As You Like It. I had no clue what I was doing. I could barely remember any of my lines and I didn’t know what any of them meant. I had convinced myself that I could understand what was going on. To be honest, after two shows in a Summer Tour I was still just doing the doggy paddle in what seemed to be an ocean of text and story. But I was having the time of my life.




So I did another Grassroots show, and another…. and another….. and another. I would say that I’m comfortable in the water now but each show is still a challenge. A challenge that I take on willing to create something fun, fresh, and inspiring. I have been a part of Grassroots Shakespeare for 5 years and I think I get it now.




The Shakespeare I had grown up with was performed with such reverence that I never imagined that I would be where I am today. These stories for me are best told in front of a lively crowd ready for some action and I hope that people will come out to see Titus Andronicus and experience something unforgettable.



About Nick Grossaint
Nick Grossaint will be playing Saturninus in 'Titus Andronicus'

Nick Grossaint is back and ready to rock with Grassroots! Nicks favorite roles include Dromio in the Comedy of Errors, Banquo in Macbeth, and Autolycus in The Winter's Tale.

Titus Andronicus performs at the Castle Amphitheater in Provo Utah from Oct 17th-November 1st 2014. Tickets and Details HERE

1 comment:

  1. Saw this horrific play on Saturday. Don't miss it, you will laugh until you hurt. Nick, again you stole the show.

    ReplyDelete